Re: /usr/people/robertor/mail/junk

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 lc29b50 <Lei.Chen@m.cc.utah.edu> wrote:

> my isp provider is my college, the dial-in pool does not automatically
> run ppp after connection. Local address is assigned dynamically. I log
> in (Username: Password are the login prompts), and type "ppp" on a prompt
> (prompt is "your destination >") to run ppp. So far, my ppp script is not
> working. It dials (and connects, I think, at least it makes that modem
> connection sound) but nothing happens after that. I would appreciate any
> help:
>
> dial-up script
> -------------
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd :128.110.124.120 file /root/.dunc/options connect
> "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /root/.dunc/chatfile" /dev/ttyS2 38400 &
>

> /root/.dunc/chatfile
> --------------------
> "" atdt5813960  CONNECT "" rname:--rname: MY_LOGIN  word: MY_PASSWRD "" ppp

You need to specify the prompt you're waiting for before you
send the ppp string at the end.  It should read:

"" atdt5813960  CONNECT "" rname:--rname: MY_LOGIN  word:
MY_PASSWRD "ion >" ppp

Try that.

Also, you can have a look at /var/adm/ppp.log and
/var/adm/messages for clues as to what's going on.

The new dunc package doesn't really do this part any
differently, but its better in other ways.  You might want
to check it out (from hamm) if this doesn't solve it for
you.

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto