Re: Forking debian-user?

> The discussions have been lively and interesting, by the way.  Flames were
> (needlessly) thrown.

Tell me :-) . I will indeed split the list pretty soon.

> Parenthetically, I am still confused by the fact that Debian has it's own
> way with kernel sources and headers

Our way becomes the standard for all Linux when the other distributions adopt
LIBC 6. It just worked out that way.

> as well as sources for packaged modules.

This is more an issue of maintainer convenience, I think. I agree it's
possibly more difficult for someone who needs to build a custom kernel.

> [Meaning not that I might want
> personal advice, but rather that I would appreciate  the availability of
> documentation and a system conforming to some global standards (isn't that
> pretty much what *nix is about?)].

I'm going to a standards meeting with FreeBSD and SCO and the other Linux
distributions today. We really are working on this.

> The Debian watchword has been from early on, a system that can be painlessly
> upgraded.  At least twice, this watchword has failed---when a.out moved over
> to ELF, and when libc5 moved over to libc6.

Hey, Debian's libc6 isn't done yet. If you are running "unstable" you should
expect a bit more trouble. We did gain some experience with ELF.
When you change the executable format of the entire system you can expect a
few snags.

> In between these big changes, have been an endless stream of smaller changes.
Is this good or bad?

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html