Re: adduser and user names containing 8 bits chars

> Hi,
>
> i'm using the latest adduser package from bo-updates and i found that
> it does not accept user names containing 8 bits chars.  I'm talking
> about a user's full name (first name + family name), not short name
> (login name or home directory name).  I don't know if such names are
> supposed to be valid, so i'm asking here before reporting it as a bug.

	Did you try do use "--force-badname" as an option to adduser?

> However such names are very frequent in some countries including
> France.  Moreover other programs reading /etc/passwd (for instance
> finger) support 8 bits chars, once the file is edited.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> --
> Laurent.

	That's all I know about adduser 8-bit characters...
	Please let me know if it's another kind of problem.

					Daniel.

Daniel Doro Ferrante        email: danieldf@lnx00.cecm.usp.br
			    http://www.cecm.usp.br/~danieldf

CECM - Curso Experimental de Ciencias Moleculares - USP
       Experimental Course of Molecular Sciences - University of Sao Paulo