Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:44:11 -0400, mdorman@debian.org wrote:

>On Aug 21, Dave Cinege wrote
>>On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:23:27 -0400, mdorman@debian.org wrote:
>>>On Aug 21, Dave Cinege wrote
>>>Well, many others did.  And many others agreed with the other changes
>>>you disagree with.  These decisions have been made.  The time for
>>>discussion is _over_, unless you've got something more substantial
>>>than the pot-shots you've been taking so far.
>>Who?
>
>The Debian developers---the people who *are* Debian.  And if you doubt
>that for a moment, consider the two questions and their answers:

Oh boy...is this going in a circle...

>So, discussions of technical and/or organizational details take place
>on the debian-devel list, where the developers are.  We actively
>solicit the input of users, and try really hard to accomodate users'
>needs, but, in the end, the developers make the decision.

So this new revision scheme was agreed upon on the devl list? It was suggested,
discussed and decided on the devel list?

That's not how it was convaded to me.

>There was a good reason for forming a corporation---removing legal
>liability of the developers.  As one of those developers, I would have
>been sincerely pissed if I'd found myself a defendent in court over a
>matter pertaining to Debian.

It does no such thing. Are you an officier? Employee? Even formally
subconctrated?

Guess you ain't covered then.

>As for an official CD, which are you referring to, exactly?  Now,
>Debian creates a CD image that anyone is welcome to use.  That was
>done to try and insure that people who bought CDs from vendors not
>intimately connected with Debian could have a reasonable chance of
>getting a working set.  It had to do with seeing that our name wasn't
>mud because of mistakes that weren't our own---I suppose you could
>call that political.  I call it sensitivity to users needs.

These official CD's where pushed as masters to CD makers. Low and behold
by the time the order of 1.3 CDs comes in 1.3.1 is out. The cd makers are pissed,
and now the whole way the version control will be done in the project is to make the
Official CD a more viable product for deb.org to sell to high volume repers. THAT is
political.

>As far as the issue of release naming, well, I don't feel strongly
>about it.
>
>But I will point out that this is an all volunteer project, and as the
>people who badgered David Miller about a 2.0.31 kernel found out,
>"venting your shit will full force" is most likely to get the
>developers---the ones doing the actual work of making the
>distribution---to quit bothering to do work for you.
>
>So why don't you either put up or shut up?

Rev each change and I'm happy enough to be quite. This is the only reason I
started yelling, I still feel it is a good one.