Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On 21 Aug 1997 13:23:32 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>Hi,
>>>"Dave" == Dave Cinege <dcinege@psychosis.com> writes:
>
>Dave> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:28:10 -0400, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
>

>Dave> I think Debian was doing just fine before it started to receive
>Dave> cash donations. What expenses does it have? Can you make your
>Dave> books public Bruce?
>
>	Personally, I think a less confrontational tone would be more
> appropriate. You think that the domain registration is free?

No, I know it isn't as I pay for my own.

>Do you
> think that the project can depend on all the machines on our ftp
> sites to be donated?

Yes. It has to.

>That the Linux organizations all have no fee?

No. We have redhat, and caldera, and other distributions that are not.

>	If I were to take as confrontaional a view as you have, I
> might point out that as far I can see, you have made no contribution
> to the project beyond griping, (and *possibly* a _voluntary_
> contribution); IMHO, the least you can do is be polite. However, I
> shall not descend into those depths.
>
>	Do you have any basis for the implication that Bruce is doing
> things underhandedly with the money?

I never meant to insinuate Bruce is doing something underhanded, just that ther are
no real expences to speak of past what they are *additionally* creating for
themselves.

If you want to go ahead and put a number on FTP access you could. If that had to
be bought out right, the project would collapse instantly. Enough money to buy it
could not realisticly be raised. Ever.

>Dave> The purpose behind the official incorporation for Debian is
>Dave> still beyand me, and the more I think about it I don't like it.
>
>	I am sorry that you do not like it. However, the project can't
> be all things to all people. My native friends tell me that the
> appropriate reaction it ``tough''.

Jeez I guess I set my expectations too high, looking for an OS that doesn't have 15
different revs per minor number. Was the bug fix in the 1,3 R2 that was relases this
week or the 1.3 R2 that was released last week? Oh well, who cares....

>Dave> Why the US government suddenly has to get involded, I have no
>Dave> idea.
>
>	The government is invlved minimally, I think. A private
> company can accept money and pay bills (I think it is very miserly
> for people to want everything for FREE, but expect the volunteers to
> pay for the project). It may also apply for a tax exepmt status
> (which means that the project means to be non-profitable)

What bills? Is there a Debian hot line? 800-call-debian?

>Dave> Why does Debian need to be an artificial US government privedged
>Dave> entiy?
>
>	Get real.

That's what a corporation is; a fictitous person. Get a law book.

>Dave> It's our OS. We collectivly own it. Why do we suddenly need
>Dave> permission from someone to exists I'm sure some of the other
>Dave> anarchists here are also wondering about these things....
>
>	You are perfectly free to start your own distribution of
> Linux,

It's looks like maybe Bruce already has....