Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

Hi,
>>"Dave" == Dave Cinege <dcinege@psychosis.com> writes:

Dave> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:28:10 -0400, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

Dave> I think Debian was doing just fine before it started to receive
Dave> cash donations. What expenses does it have? Can you make your
Dave> books public Bruce?

	Personally, I think a less confrontational tone would be more
 appropriate. You think that the domain registration is free? Do you
 think that the project can depend on all the machines on our ftp
 sites to be donated? That the Linux organizations all have no fee?

	If I were to take as confrontaional a view as you have, I
 might point out that as far I can see, you have made no contribution
 to the project beyond griping, (and *possibly* a _voluntary_
 contribution); IMHO, the least you can do is be polite. However, I
 shall not descend into those depths.

	Do you have any basis for the implication that Bruce is doing
 things underhandedly with the money?

Dave> The purpose behind the official incorporation for Debian is
Dave> still beyand me, and the more I think about it I don't like it.

	I am sorry that you do not like it. However, the project can't
 be all things to all people. My native friends tell me that the
 appropriate reaction it ``tough''.

Dave> The project (like linux) has always been for freeholders all
Dave> over the world.

	Freeholders? Volunteers, mainly, I would have said. Not
 freeloaders. (cheap shot, I know).

Dave> Why the US government suddenly has to get involded, I have no
Dave> idea.

	The government is invlved minimally, I think. A private
 company can accept money and pay bills (I think it is very miserly
 for people to want everything for FREE, but expect the volunteers to
 pay for the project). It may also apply for a tax exepmt status
 (which means that the project means to be non-profitable)

Dave> Why does Debian need to be an artificial US government privedged
Dave> entiy?

	Get real.

Dave> It's our OS. We collectivly own it. Why do we suddenly need
Dave> permission from someone to exists I'm sure some of the other
Dave> anarchists here are also wondering about these things....

	You are perfectly free to start your own distribution of
 Linux, you and all other ``anarchists'' (anyone else thinking of
 Natasha and Boris?). Nobody is taking your precious little OS from
 you.

	Manoj
 otherwise known as Bullwinkle

--
 The desire of power in excess caused angels to fall; the desire of
 knowledge in excess caused man to fall; but in charity is no excess,