Installing Linux

I was wondering if there was a way to install Linux without formatting
my hard-drive and destorying the existing partitions. I currently use
Win95, but want to try Linux out. As such, I would like to have Linux as
the dominant OS, but wish to be able to switch to Win95 if I ever had to
access some of the data and apps I have.

I know that LILO exists, but all of the messages I've read so far seem
to imply that I will have to format my drive. I really, really don't
want to do this. Any other solutions short of buying Partition Magic?

I have a 2.1 gig C: and a 1.1 gig D:. Win95 resides on C:.

Thanx,
-Davison

P.S. I haven't got enough money to buy a Zip to back my stuff up.....