Re: /etc/init.d structure [long rant]

On 14 Aug 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava writes:
> > *Nothing* has an S* in more than one level. A package is meant to be at a
> > certain run level and higher. A level 3 package is started at run level
> > 3, killed in run level 2, and at *no* other level. See how this works?
>
> Simple and elegant, but not very flexible.  How about a state machine
> approach?

Considerably more flexable than rc.local, or anything else
to date.  The key is having explicit control -- no magic.
Having an optional package that replaced the sysvinit
startup with a "state machine" (whatever that is) is fine by
me.  But I still think we should fix what's broke.  In time,
I'm sure that Linuxconf will be able to handle multiple
running states with some kind of menu selectable state at
startup or something at some point.  Perhaps this would be
the alternative of choice.

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto