Re: 3C509 Problems

Alex Monaghan wrote:

> Help,
>
> I've got a problem with my 3C509 & Debian 1.2 (2.0.30 kernel).
>
> I've tried this card loaded in the kernel and also as a module. Until
> the last few weeks it has worked OK, but now it just won't load. I've
> not made any changes to the machine or Linux in the mean time (except
> re-compiling the kernel to try it as part of the kernel)
>
> I can manually load the module after boot time.
>
> Any suggestions of where to look ?
>
> I can run the card OK under Win 95, so I know the card is OK.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

The final problem turned out to be that it had not
included the 3c509.o in modules.dep,
manually inserting it and rebooting caused it to
run OK.

Can anyone suggest why ?

I installed with kernel 2.0.27 then upgraded to
2.0.30 via patches. I installed the
modules via make modules ; make modules_install, is
there something I missed ? (lilo
was run to install the new kernel as the default
boot kernel)

    Alex Monaghan   Network Support Analyst, Royal
Mail Anglia
                    London Rd, Stevenage, SG1 1AA,
UK
    Email           monaghaa@royalmail.co.uk