Re: IP Aliasing

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Dan Dooher wrote:

 : I just recently converted from RedHat to Debian Linux and my question
 : is:
 : I want my box to listen on two IP addresses.
 :
 : On RedHat it was simple:
 : "ifconfig eth0:1 inet <new-ip-address> broadcast <broadcast-address> up"
 :
 : The Debian system says, "SIOCSIFADDR: No such device, SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No
 : such device".
 :
 : The man page on the Debian system is the same on the old RedHat
 : system--so that's
 : no help.  Can any one tell me the args to ifconfig for IP aliasing under
 : Debian?

Well, I don't think your syntax is incorrect, but are you sure you enabled
IP-Aliasing during kernel compile? I don't think the
out-of-the-box-Debian-Linux-kernel supports ip_alias.

Remco.

--
// Remco van de Meent
//   email: remco@oloon.student.utwente.nl