Re: heard all the who-haha?

At 10:46 AM 8/12/97 -0700, Kevin Traas wrote:
> >Debian 1.3.1 sports a who which many are saying is "slow" while others
>>are saying the slowness is due to slow named servers. Were there
>>any notable changes leading up the the /usr/bin/who which came with
>>shellutils 1.16-2?
>
>I've been reading this thread with quite some interest as I have a similar
>problem albeit with different applications....   I guess it's time for me to
>say something.
>
>I've been experiencing problems with some people telnetting into my system.
>Many people don't have a problem, but others do....  The problem is that the
>telnet client says "connected"; however, there is no response from my system
>for 150 seconds - 2.5 minutes!  Once the client finally gets the response,
>everything is fine from there.  No more delays, no more problems.
>
>Putting the client IP/hostname into /etc/hosts resolves this problem;
>however, this is an impractical solution.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Later,
>
>Kevin Traas   Baan Business Systems
>Systems Analyst  Langley, BC, Canada
>Kevin@Baan-BBS.CA  (604) 882-8169

I believe it's your tcp wrappers in inetd.conf. If you aren't using the
security features that tcp wrappers gives you, just edit your inetd.conf
file so it doesn't use tcpd:

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

Keep in mind that, short of your firewall rules, this will allow anyone to
receive a login prompt to your machine from the Internet.

Or you can check out the man pages on tcpd so you can set up your
hosts.allow and hosts.deny files so it works for you.

Good luck,

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com