Re: Looking for Talk - HOWTO

On Aug 8, Frank Barknecht wrote
> Mike Schmitz hat gesagt: // Mike Schmitz wrote:
> > Rewrite your hosts file from /etc/ppp/ip-up, keeping the same name as
> > is set in hostname. Here is an example:
> >
>    I have tried this now, but used an example from
> the Dynamic-IP-Hacks-mini-HOWTO like another user
> here suggested. Basically it is the same script as
> your example.  To test this setup I rlogged in to
> a SUN in my university and tried to "talk" me. But
> again I only could see the message in my xconsole:
> in.talkd[1583]: connect from sun.foo.bar.de
> without getting a talk request in xterm. And yes: mesg is y.  In my
> /etc/hosts now is the official ip-address and an offical DNS-name.
> The SUN in my university is permanently connected to the internet.
> SUN and I even share the same domain name now. Still I cannot talk
> to me!?

>From a previous answer to the same question by Igor Grobman:

----- Snip -----
Both of them do understand ntalk protocol.  However, suns have their ntalk/talk
ports switched as opposed to linux.  Your /etc/services file should containt th
following lines:

talk            517/udp
ntalk           518/udp

On suns, talk would be port 518 and ntalk is 517.  The solution is to fix this
problem on one of the ends.

Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com

  Mike Schmitz     mschmitz@bend-or.com    http://www.bend-or.com/~mschmitz
  Don't blame me - I voted libertarian!    http://www.lp.org/
  Use Debian Linux - the free Gnu/Linux    http://www.debian.org/