Re: mv directories to new partition; rm directories

"Gary L. Dolan" <dolan@inetnebr.com> writes:

[snip]

> Thanks for the information. If this is really a *bad* idea, it ought not
> to be in the info program as a viable option to rm without some explanation.

Actually, because it's such a bad idea, Linux (the kernel) doesn't let
you do it.  From fs/ext2/namei.c:

        retval = -EPERM;
        if (S_ISDIR(inode->i_mode))
                goto end_unlink;

Which is why you got the "Operation not permitted" error.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

   "On the telephone line I am anyone, I am anything I want to be."
                                       - Savage Garden, _Santa Monica_