Re: mv directories to new partition; rm directories

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Gary L. Dolan wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 10, 1997 at 05:21:23PM -0400, Scott K. Ellis wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Gary L. Dolan wrote:
> > > When I attempted to remove (as root) an old subdirectory under
> > > /usr/local using  'rm -d', I got an "Operation not permitted"
> > > response. The info reference on 'rm' gives the '-d' option.

Did this myself;  make a new partition (fdisk and mkfs it),  mount it
under /mnt or somplace,  do

cp -a /usr/local /mnt
rm -rf /usr/local
mkdir /usr/local
mount (new partition) /usr/local

(cp -a) is much better to copy the files,  rather than tarring and
untarring them.  Faster,  I think,  too.

You might want to keep the old /usr/local around in /usr/oldlocal or
something for a little while in case something turns out to be screwy.

                     					Will

			         harpo@udel.edu
               		       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			 http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/