fixing a machine without ncurses3.4

I wanted the Gimp so I did some updating from unstable.
I missed libncurses3.4 though. My machine was left in an
crippled state (couldn't ftp out) so I thought I'd boot into
windoze to get the .deb. Unfortunately when booting back into Linux,
even in single user mode, I get 'sh: can't load libncurses.so.3.4'
and can't log in. Tried a known good rescue disk and that gives me
the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

- Sue