Re: [DEBIAN] Standardization?

From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> Is this the 1387.2 standard?

Yes.

> Is it any good?

It will do. We might have to extend it a bit, and get our extensions
into the standard.

> Who's done an analysis on it to see if it is good enough to replace dpkg
> or to see if we can build upon it?

I've looked it over.

> If there's good stuff in it, why don't we start using it right away?

It's a lot of work. I would like to have Deity deployed first, as I think
ease-of-use is a more important issue than package format. We will
eventually have Deity front-end for .deb, .rpm, and POSIX packages.

> I don't want to pay $72US (http://standards.ieee.org/catalog/it.html)
> to obtain the standards document (I dropped out of the IEEE) just to
> find out that it is mandating some backwards technology.

It's tar files (or cpio archives) with control files in them, not
much different from what we have now.

We would not "scrap" the package system, but I expect between Deity
and POSIX we will eventually replace all of its components.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html