Re: .deb file corruption?

>>Dave Neuer wrote:
 >BTW, I can't get the Linux box connected via Ethernet (no drivers) or
 >modem (can't seem to find modem, and can't transfer any communications
 >programs like minicom to the Linux box to test for the modem).

By default only 2 serial ports are configured. Edit /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
and uncomment apropriate line for your modem -- should be easy as the script
is well commented.  However, you do need to know which port and IRQ your
modem uses.  You may have to open the box and have a look at the modem to
see how jumpers/switches are set.  If serial driver is loaded
"cat /proc/ioports" will show you I/O ports currently configured,
something like
02f8 - 02ff : serial (set)
03f8 - 03ff : serial (set)

BTW, "cat /proc/interrupts" will show you IRQs currently in use.

The gotcha is that if serial driver is demand-loaded, when serial ports
haven't been in use the driver gets removed from memory, and the above
will not show serial ports.  Run setserial first to load the driver.

That is assuming serial driver was luckier than ethernet and mouse
drivers and it is installed.

HTH
--
Dimitri