Basic networking setup

I've been trying to set up a *very* simple network with two peers
recently. This is my first exploration into ethernet related issues
under Linux.

Before I get started properly, the FM's I have read are the NAG,
NET-3-HOWTO and the Ethernet-HOWTO.

The cards I am using are two NE2000 clones, manufactured by Trust and
with a RealTek chipset (according to Win95). They are PNP, but isapnp
seems to work, as does modprobe ne. We are connecting via 10Base2 (the
cable has been checked and is fine, and the fact that isapnp and
modprobe don't fail suggests that the cards are OK. The ne2k diagnostic
program finds the card too. The T pieces and terminators were brand new
with the card).

On boot, the cards are assigned addresses by /etc/init.d/network (both
are Debian 1.3 machines). This is what mine looks like, the other
machine has one exactly the same save for the ip address being
192.168.0.2.

#!      /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
GATEWAY=
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

However, pinging 192.168.0.2 gives *no* error messages (such as 'no
route to host), it just fails quietly.

I've tried playing around with arp stuff, routes and many other things,
but still it fails. This list is my last resort before I take the cards
back and resign myself to a net quake free life :).

Thanks in advance,

Dom

--
Dominic Davidson