Re: Debugging pine sessions

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> For a "production" version, -DDEBUG is not appropriate.
> If the documentation is wrong about this, please use the bug tracking
> system. Debian maintainers are not always supposed to read this list.

I could see your point about -DDEBUG not being appropriate for a
production program if the resultant output was only useful for debugging
Pine. However, the principal use of this information is for debugging
pine /sessions/ (and the default debug level can be set accordingly).

Having the Debian pine package compiled without -DDEBUG, there is no way
to find out what pine is actually saying to the IMAP, SMTP etc. servers
and what they're saying back, short of using tcpdump to record all the
packets sent and returned. That's beyond me.

So I think the documentation is correct when it says that pine should be
compiled with the -DDEBUG flag on. The default value can be set as low
as possible (0), I suppose, so people are still able to increase it on the
command line.

In hope,
David.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151