Re: Can't Install! Kernel Hangs!

> Hello all.  I just got my CheapBytes 1.3.1 CD (which has some files that
> look suspiciously out of date ...) and I can't boot from either the CD
> (using loadlin) or the Rescue Disk I made.  I also tried downloading the
> latest disk image, and it didn't work either.
>
> The kernel seems to hang when it displays the "MD Driver" message.  I gave
> it 5 minutes and then rebooted.
>
> I'm going to try using my own kernel today, but if anyone has a quick fix
> I'd be very happy to hear it.

Hmmm.. I had the exact same thing happen with my laptop.  I wasn't
able to boot up at all with any of the kernels (except the one I
had made myself.. which wasn't any good since it wasn't a Rescue Disk).
It may not be the same problem.. but, I know on my laptop I was
finally able to get it booting by making some changes to me CMOS.
In my case, it would appear that my sound card was conflicting
somehow and making the system hang.  I think it may have been that
I had my DMA channels set wrong (or maybe my IRQ.. I really didn't
play around with it too much).  If you CMOS contains specific DMA
settings or IRQ settings you may want to try changing them one
at a time, try booting, and then changing them back.  Unfortunately,
without me knowing what is going on in the internals of the boot process
at that point.. I can't help you out further.

Good luck!
Richard..