Printing to a laserprinter with lprng

I thought I'd go with lprng for my Debian 1.3 installation. It's very
frustrating that users can't remove their own jobs using lprm in the lpr
package.

Unfortunately, whereas lpr could satisfactorily print jobs on the printer
(large ones at that), lprng can't. For example, I've just typed
    man -t knews | lpr
and it printed it all (18 pages) at the eighth attempt, having printed
(not in order) 9, 10, 14, 14, 16, 17, and 17 pages beforehand. According
to the documentation, it should only have had 3 tries anyway. BTW the
printer is an Apple laserwriter 16/600 PS, with the TCP/IP protocol set to
PostScript.

I started lpd with -D 5, so I've got a 20K line 1.8MB log file, but it
just says things like

 error sending 'dfA467pcse017.open.ac.uk' to raw@10.10.10.10 at 14:37:46
 sending job 'david@pcse017+467' to 'raw@137.108.18.175', connect attempt
 1 failed, sleeping 10 at 14:37:46'

but there's no reason given, so I have no idea what to do (except revert
to lpr).

Here are the configuration files I'm using:

# /etc/printcap
# edited by David Wright 1997 August 7
# probe printer queue for PostScript
probe
    |eslaser1
    :lp=probe@%H
    :cm=John Holbrook Z028
    :mx#0
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/probe
    :sh

# /etc/lpd_printcap
# edited by David Wright 1997 August 7
# probe printer queue for PostScript
probe
    |eslaser1
    :lp=raw@10.10.10.10         <- number changed to protect the innocent
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/probe
    :af=/var/log/probe-acct
    :lf=/var/log/probe-errs
    :mx#0
    :sh

# /etc/lpd.conf         <- I've deleted everything that's not been changed
# edited by David Wright 1997 August 7
client_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
default_printer=probe@%H
group=lp
lockfile=/var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock.%h
logfile=/var/spool/lpd/lpd.log
lpd_port=printer
lpd_printcap_path=/etc/lpd_printcap
mail_operator_on_error=david
printcap_path=/etc/printcap
printer_perms_path=/etc/lpd.perms
send_failure_action=hold
server_config_file=/etc/lpd.conf
use_info_cache
user=lp

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151