Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

On Aug 02, Anand Kumria wrote:

> > A third idea, make a debian-news.  A few debian people put together some
> > pages each week summarizing the latest with debian.  It could be an
> > outgoing list only, warning people of potential problems, new releases,
> > security holes, packages that need maintainers, etc.  This way someone who
> > can't handle the volume of all the list can still keep informed.
>
> I think splitting up debian-user into seperate groups would just mean that
> people would subscribe to all of them and send their message to all of
> them in the hope that someone will help.
>
> I like the idea of a debian-news mailing list, and would think it would be
> a good idea to gate whatever it sent to it to the debian-user mailing
> list. Perhaps the debian-news mailing list could become similiar to the
> ApacheWeek <URL:http://www.apacheweek.com/> newsletter that gets sent out
> every week.

The debian-news would help for many things, like problems with upgrading
packages, and so on.

Perhaps an actual debian-FAQ posted regularly would also help:
Many questions on debian-user are asked frequent: PPP, star office, and
libc6 are a few examples. A few people, that take the best answers to those
questions and make a short FAQ, could help reducing the noise.

Example:
Q: Can I install libc6?
A: The libc5 and the libc6 runtime libraries can be installed together.
   There is no problem to expect, except for (insert flwas here).

Posted every week (or every second week), new users could read this before
they ask. I don't think, that every new user search the mailing list first,
before he post his questions.

I would begin with it, if you think that this is a good idea.

Just my two cents.
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."