Re: ICQ

>>Stefan Berndtsson wrote:
 >Dima <dima@eris.dev.null> writes:
 >
 >> It seems to me that what you're really looking for is an add-on to
 >> -- IRC seems to be the best candidate -- a protocol that would allow
 >> a person joining the channel/network send their ID
 >> (eg. nick!username@ip.address) to the server.
 >Uhh.. what do you think the client DOES send to the server when signing on?
 >
 >nickname, username, hostname, servername (of the server they connect to)
 >and their so called Realname, which is a text they can pick on their own.

Well, I guess I didn't mean _just_ that.  Remember, we may want to send
some data via ftp or start a talk, or whatever else that icq thing does.
So that should be a block of information such as whether I accept ftp
connections, talk requests, what else.  I may not want that kind of info
be readily available to anyone, so I want encryption and some kind of
authentication -- ftp bit may include username & password. Then, why not
throw in something like rexec or ORB, or at least leave room for that
-- we're talking about integrated services thingy.
Also, I'm on a dial-up connection, so my hostname may not resolve --
and my ip address may well be different next time I sign on.

That could be stored in the Realname I suppose, as long as everyone
agrees on the format.  I guess icq also keeps my e-mail address
while I'm off-line, but I don't see why that can't be done by the client.

Anyway, it's just my $.05 worth.

--
Dimitri
if replying to a Usenet posting,