Smail Configuration

     My preferred login on my machine is not the same as my userid
with my ISP.  Smail uses my login on this machine to form the
"return_path_field".  As a result, I can not receive messages from
mailer-daemons about undeliverable mail, etc.

     Is there any way to make smail create the return_path_field in
the way I want it?  The smailconf manpage says "The /etc/smail/config
file defines values for global variables used by smail.", and gives
the default value of return_path_field as ``Return-Path: <$sender>''.

     I have inserted the following line in my /etc/smail/config file:
return_path_field="Return-Path: hilliard@metrolink.net"
However, smail still forms the default return_path_field in my
outgoing mail.

     Is there any way, short of compiling smail myself, to
overcome this default behavior?

Bob