Re: Which kernel is in 1.3.1?

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm considering buying the CD release for Debian 1.3.1. I have the
> following requirements for the kernel:
>
> * Support for multi-threading.
> * Particularly, support for kernel threading (Linux Threads, NOT
> Provenzano MIT threads).

Dunno about it, check with kernel hackers.  However, if you need to
install a kernel from 2.1 to get it, do it on your own risk.  Debian
now comes with kernel 2.0.30 (with 2.0.29 included).

> * Support for glibc 2.0 (I could hold my breath on this one, though).

Download "libc6" package (and, if you want to compile for glibc,
libc6-{dev,dbg}, gcc and other development packages) from hamm
(unstable) and install it on your 1.3.1 system, it will not break
anything.  However, notice that all the packages in 1.3.1 are compiled
under and linked with linux libc 5, and if you want to re-compile it,
you'll have a hard time with some of them.  Packages in hamm (those
which are not just symlinks to the same package on bo) are linked with
libc6.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The IP datagram is printed, on a small scroll of paper, in hexadecimal,