Re: Libc6 Upgrade Howto?

storm@gate.net ("Scott K. Ellis") writes:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Steve Phillips wrote:
>
> > Is there a HOWTO on howto upgrade from 1.3.x to unstable with libc6?
> > I'm the new maintainer for uudeview and now have a machine available to
> > run as a developement machine.  I tried to upgrade to unstable with
> > dselect, first upgrading dpkg, but just ran into a maze of dependicies
> > that left my machine a mess.  I had to re-install 1.3.1 on it.
>
> Okay, a few tricks I can think of first off.
>
> 1) Use dselect to purge all of the -dev packages on your system, they will
>    all need to be replaced with libc6 based packages, most likely included
>    in hamm.  Getting rid of the bo -dev packages will solve a majority of
>    your dependancy problems.
> 2) Manually retrieve and install the latest libc6 package.  This will save
>    a lot of headaches in trying to install all the new libc6 based stuff.
> 3) Manually retrive the latest bash, libreadline2, and libreadlineg2
>    packages.  Install all of them on one dpkg command line.
>
> Most of the rest of the packages should upgrade with no problem.  You may
> want to install altgcc and the various -altdev packages if you wish to
> continue to compile libc5 based programs.  Library packages with g at the
> end of their names are the libc6 linked libraries, if libraries are linked
> with a different version of libc than the program they're linked to,
> strange problems may develop.

[snip]

The bash upgrade broke some of the scripts i had, after a while i
found out i had to change this line:

  . $BASE || { echo -e "\a base file missing"; exit 1 }

  . $BASE || { echo -e "\a base file missing"; exit 1
	}

is there any other known differences between the different versions.

I updated the following packages
ii  bash            2.0-3          The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  locales         2.0.4-1        Locale data files and utilities.
ii  libc6           2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libreadline2    2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
ii  libreadlineg2   2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time

when trying to install libc5 5.4.33-5 the postinst-script exits with
an error, the problem seems to be when setting up some of the locales
stuff. After commenting the offending lines

#do_locale fr_BE ISO-8859-1
#do_locale gr_GR ISO-8859-7
#do_locale hr_HR ISO-8859-4
#do_locale iw_IL ISO-8859-8
#do_locale kl_GL ISO-8859-1
#do_locale nl_BE ISO-8859-1
#do_locale ro_RO ISO-8859-1
#do_locale ru_RU ISO-8859-5

i coudlt set up libc5. I know this isn't the right solution
but i found no other way. Maybe sombody can tell me where else to
look.
After this little problems and the fakt that my inet.conf desapeard
the upgrade seems to work, even compiling (libc6) is no problem.
Haven't tried to compile a kernel jet. Any hints?