Re: Libc6 Upgrade Howto?

On 31 Jul 1997, Philip Rangel wrote:

> The bash upgrade broke some of the scripts i had, after a while i
> found out i had to change this line:
>
>   . $BASE || { echo -e "\a base file missing"; exit 1 }

>   . $BASE || { echo -e "\a base file missing"; exit 1
> 	}
>
> is there any other known differences between the different versions.

That is a know difference in bash2, the alternate solution would just be
to provide the semicolon at the end of the last statement before the }.  I
believe this is a POSIXism

> I updated the following packages
> ii  bash            2.0-3          The GNU Bourne Again SHell
> ii  locales         2.0.4-1        Locale data files and utilities.
> ii  libc6           2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
> ii  libreadline2    2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
> ii  libreadlineg2   2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
>
> when trying to install libc5 5.4.33-5 the postinst-script exits with
> an error, the problem seems to be when setting up some of the locales
> stuff. After commenting the offending lines
>
> #do_locale fr_BE ISO-8859-1
> #do_locale gr_GR ISO-8859-7
> #do_locale hr_HR ISO-8859-4
> #do_locale iw_IL ISO-8859-8
> #do_locale kl_GL ISO-8859-1
> #do_locale nl_BE ISO-8859-1
> #do_locale ro_RO ISO-8859-1
> #do_locale ru_RU ISO-8859-5
>
> i coudlt set up libc5. I know this isn't the right solution
> but i found no other way. Maybe sombody can tell me where else to
> look.

Known bug with the latest libc5 package, I believe it is a problem with
locales.  If you don't need them, don't worry about it, it should clear
itself up with future upgrades.

> After this little problems and the fakt that my inet.conf desapeard
> the upgrade seems to work, even compiling (libc6) is no problem.
> Haven't tried to compile a kernel jet. Any hints?

There was a postinst bug in one package that caused it to eat your
inetd.conf file, grepping for all of the update-inetd commands in the
various postinst scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info and running them should
rebuild your inetd.conf.

- --
                     |    If you will practice being fictional for a while,
   Scott K. Ellis    |            you will understand that fictional
   storm@gate.net    |          characters are sometimes more real than