Re: audio files

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Colin R. Telmer wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jason Westervelt wrote:
> > There is a program that comes in RedHat called showaudio.  Does anyone
> > know where to snag this for Debian?  I can't figure out how to install a
> > RedHat package through Debian, and would prefer not to.  If I could just
> > find the source, that would be good enough.
> No showaudio that I know of under debian, but there is a playaudio that is
> part of the mime-support package. If you have that installed, you'll find
> it at /usr/lib/mime/playaudio. I have a symlink to it from /usr/local/bin
> so that I can use it without the absolute path. However, it is nothing
> like showaudio. It's just a simple script that cats a file to dev/audio
> and therefore doesn't do any conversion. You may want to look at the bplay
> package. Cheers.

Actually, there is a /usr/bin/showaudio.  It is in the metamail package.
Is that what you want?  :)  I wonder what exactly it is for though.  It
can play *.au files, but it seems it is intended to do more than that.
(It is a sh script).  Hope this helps.  :)  However, as Colin suggested,
you might like to look at bplay, sox etc. sound software.  :)
(For MPEG audio files, splay and mpg123 are great!  :)

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Civil Engineering                http://www.ualberta.ca/~foka/