intall hang: 'unknown pci device'

Greetings!

I know this is a classic problem but I don't know how (or if) it can be
circumvented.

I've bought a nice new laptop and have partitioned it with win95 and
OS/2 and thought I'd make a trio and put Linux on it. (Note: I'm not a
_complete_ newbie to Linux - I've recompiled the kernel and futzed
about but I'm not a veteran either; my domicile is in OS/2 land.)

When I use my trusty bootdisk (which I made months ago for my desktop
machine), it _hangs_ on the error:
WARNING: UNKNOWN PCI DEVICE (1039:5107). PLEASE READ
INCLUDE/LINUX/PCI.H

The system, purchased from AT-Computers (http://www.montananet.com),
is:

Sager Computers Laptop (NP6287A) P166MMX PnP
System Soft SiS-510X (6x00-05-13)
BIOS Ver: 1.01.26 05-13 Date: 06/16/97

Is there hope for a workaround? If I can't run Linux I have to consider
returning the system. Probably won't return it but is that the prospect
I'm facing?

Can I find something in pci.h - I haven't had a chance to look on my
desktop machine - which I could remove and still boot?

(Oh, and I sent a message to  linux-pcisupport@cao-vlsi.ibp.fr.)

I'd _really_ appreciate some help.

Felmon Davis
     Felmon John Davis