RE: We should help this guy...

>> - -A distribution that made sense in 100MB monthly parcels. (we can only
>
>I don't think Debian makes sense this way. It would take six isssues to
>distribute just the stuff in the binary CD of the official CD set (and it
>might make sense to distribute as much as possible of contrib, non-free and
>non-US). You'd also have to order the packages in a sensible way (packages
>in issue n must not depend on packages not in issues 1..n), which might be
>difficult.

I see your point

>> - -With a fips that worked with the new FAT32.
>
>I'm not aware of a version of FIPS (or another freeware (re)partitioning
>tool) that supports FAT32.
>
>BTW, isn't this a bit duplicated? If you have umsdos for (V)FAT(32), you
>don't need to repartition; if you have a FAT32-capable FIPS-like tool, you
>don't need umsdos for (V)FAT(32).

I see Windows users using FIPS to take Linux for a test drive and then
using FIPS for a more permamanent installation once they like it. Using
Linux on umsdos is very slow!

>Personally, if I wanted to promote Linux through windows-oriented magazines,
>I'd try to persuade them to put it on an "extra issue" CD, or start by

I think you may be right.

It also occurs to me that expecting a newbie to figure out dselect is
asking a bit much. It seems to me that we need a preconfigured version.
i.e. everything is a module, autoprobe for devices (this won't work for
all stuff so some thing will need to be excluded) and some extra setup
scripts. I noticed on the LDP a reference to a Simple Entry Level Linux,
I will look into this. Other people must have done similiar work for
other distributions and there must be an awful lot already in the Debian
distribution that just needs tying together.

Watch this space.

Thanks for the input

Regards,
Alec
--
Alec Clews, <alec@consulting.tca.co.uk>,         PGP keyid:48FA EB81
TCA Consulting Ltd  Tel. 44-(0)171-415-8159   Fax:44-(0)171-556-0022