Re: We should help this guy...

[moved to debian-user, as the question originated there]

On Jul 30, Philippe Troin wrote
: This was posted to debian-user.  We have to help this English magazine !

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to spread the word (and the code), but I think
there are quite a few problems with what is requested.

I don't think Debian makes sense this way. It would take six isssues to
distribute just the stuff in the binary CD of the official CD set (and it
might make sense to distribute as much as possible of contrib, non-free and
non-US). You'd also have to order the packages in a sensible way (packages
in issue n must not depend on packages not in issues 1..n), which might be
difficult.

> - -Does not need RockRidge

IIRC, RockRidge only adds Unix filesystems semantics to ISO 9660. There is
nothing in the install which depends on this AFAICT.

> - -Would work on FAT, VFAT and FAT32 filesystems in a umsdos manner.

Have umsdos and VFAT been combined in 2.1 kernels? FAT32 support isn't even
in 2.1 right now.

> - -With a fips that worked with the new FAT32.

I'm not aware of a version of FIPS (or another freeware (re)partitioning
tool) that supports FAT32.

BTW, isn't this a bit duplicated? If you have umsdos for (V)FAT(32), you
don't need to repartition; if you have a FAT32-capable FIPS-like tool, you
don't need umsdos for (V)FAT(32).

Personally, if I wanted to promote Linux through windows-oriented magazines,
I'd try to persuade them to put it on an "extra issue" CD, or start by
distributing the GNU for WIN32 stuff, and have articles explaining "there's
more where that came from".

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch