X fonts, Re: xdm config

I just answered a question I had about X fonts.  XFree86 3.2 fonts
are compressed, while XFree86 3.3 are gzipped.  To convert between
compression formats it is not sufficient to change only the
compression of the fonts, but also the fonts.dir file in each font
directory, which list

font_type.pcf.gz

instead of

font_type.pcf.Z

One would have to do a search-and-replace in these files.

(This problem arose because the AcceleratedX from Xi graphics
does not support gzipped fonts.)

David