Modem config

What is the current standard for device files?  I have a pcmcia
modem.  Previously it worked fine with /dev/cua1 under my Slackare
Linux.  Debian appears to have gone to some other device files or
naming system.  (I think it tried to put /dev/modem --> /dev/ttyS0
which didn't work for me.)

Anyway, I pointed /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 on the partition with my
Slackware partition.  That works fine, but where should it really go?

Regarding the pcmcia packages, on the local mirror here I find no
completely compatible binary package for the linux kernel 2.0.29.
The pcmcia package is split into pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules, with
versions 2.9.5-2 and 2.9.5-3 compiled for linux kernels 2.0.29 and
2.0.30.  Due to rumors of bugs in 2.0.30, I don't want to go to that
kernel, and there are only pcmcia-cs 2.9.5-3 and pcmcia-modules
2.9.5.2, which do not solve each others' dependencies under dpkg.

I solved the above problem by getting the source package.  However
this may have been the cause of some previous postings on pcmcia
install problems.  If it hasn't been corrected at ftp.debian.org,
then it should be.

David