fetchmail problem?

Hello all,

 I'm completely green behind the ears when it comes to email setup.
Trying to get an exmh mail sytem established on my machine.

 I've installed the following debian GNU/Linux packages on an i586
machine:  exim, eximon, fetchmail, metamail, mime-support,  mh, and
exmh.  Only connected to internet via PPP to an ISP who uses POP3 for
mail.  Currently using Netscape Communicator for mail which works fine,
however, I'd like to switch to exmh.

 Have been able to get everything setup including mh using the info in
the great!! online mh book which I downloaded.  It's in HTML format and
covers mh, mh-e, xmh and exmh.  It's covered by the GNU license and
should definitely be added to the Debian distribution.  See
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/browhelp.htm

Am using fetchmail to move mail from my ISP's POP3 server to my
machine.   Cannot move POP3 mail, using fetchmail, from the ISP server
to my client machine.  Here's the error message when executing the
fetchmail command in an xterm either as a user or root:

vtorrico$ fetchmail -v -u vtorrico -a -p pop3 milo.cfw.com
Enter password for vtorrico@milo.cfw.com:
fetchmail: 3.9.6 querying milo.cfw.com (protocol POP3) at Sun Jul 27
06:51:48 1997
fetchmail: POP3< +OK QUALCOMM Pop server derived from UCB (version
2.1.4-R3) at milo.cfw.com starting.
fetchmail: POP3> USER vtorrico
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required for vtorrico.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK vtorrico has 14 message(s) (29276 octets).
fetchmail: selecting default folder
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 14 29276
fetchmail: 14 messages at vtorrico@milo.cfw.com.
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2857 octets
reading message 1 (2857 bytes)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed: Unknown error
18446744073709551615
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from milo.cfw.com:
Unknown error 18446744073709551615
fetchmail: normal termination, status 9
vtorrico$

Please, if this can be solved, I should be up and running in exmh.

Victor