Re: why kernel 2.0.29 in Debian 1.3.1?

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:

> > why Debian 1.3.1 includes kernel 2.0.29 and not 2.0.30 (that is in this
> > Debian 1.3.1 but don't is preselect the first time that I install the
> > system).?
> >
> > Is there any problem whith 2.0.30 kernel?
>
> Apparently, there was some of the 2.1.x code that was introduced into
> 2.0.30 that caused some problems....  I've no idea what it was, maybe
> others can comment; however, it caused the Debian Powers-That-Be to elect
> to go with 2.0.29 as the default.  However, 2.0.30 is still included in the
> 1.3.x distribution.
>
> I've been using 2.0.30 on several machines without difficulty....
> Therefore, I've never investigated further as to what problems were present
> in this newer version.
>
> 2.0.31 is supposed to be available within days.  This is supposed to
> resolve the 2.0.30 problems.

Hmmm, I have 2 problems at present:

1. Cannot boot: originally got the 1FA: prompt.  Changed some settings in
the SCSI BIOS and then it worked (2.0.30 kernel).  I recompiled the kernel
one more time and from then on it always stops at "LI".  I can't fix this
one at all, even with 2.0.29.

2. With 2.0.30 I was witnessing a memory leak.  However back with 2.0.29
it seems to be OK (or at least the leak is much slower!).

So all-in-all 2.0.29 seems to be better.  I guess the boot problem is
lilo's rather than a specific kernel version....Any helpers here?

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)