Re: samba newbie help request

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Pann McCuaig wrote:

> What I'm looking for is the absolute minimum /etc/smb.conf that will
> allow me to share a directory, say /tmp, on the Linux box with the
> Windows box.

   Ahh, another person who despite RTFMing needs a good example -- sounds
like me! :-)  BTW, I found my example in the Linux Journal.

   Here's what you need to do, create a system user (see 'man adduser')
named whatever you want.  I made the user to be "network" to share my
/home/ftp/pub subdirectories with my Windows machines.  Then edit your
/etc/smb.conf to include something like the following:

[network]
   comment = Public directories
   path = /home/ftp/pub
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   guest ok = yes

   Users will then just need to map this to a drive on their Windows
machines and they'll have access.  Of course, you can change some of the
parameters above if you'd like, just consult Samba's doc/man page.

   Obligatory disclaimer: if anyone sees something I overlooked and/or
shouldn't be doing, etc., please let me know! :-)

 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/ __      o
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...