Re: samba newbie help request

> What I'm looking for is the absolute minimum /etc/smb.conf that will
> allow me to share a directory, say /tmp, on the Linux box with the
> Windows box.

Have you looked at /usr/doc/HOWTO/SMB-Howto.gz?

It contains a starter /etc/smb.conf as follows:
-----------------
[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
share modes = yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0750

[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space
path = /tmp
read only = no
public = yes
-------------------

Note1:  You'll need to enable a guest account for browsing to work from the
Win clients.
Note2:  This same Howto suggests using the "ftp" user for guest access
instead of "nobody"; however, I've used "nobody" and it's worked fine for
me.

Good luck!!

later,

Kevin Traas			Baan Business Systems