Re: naming convention question

jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> I wrote:
> > But why is it good to choose names that don't reflect *anything*?
>
> Scott K. Ellis writes:
> > They do, they are the codename for the version,...
>
> What secrets are being protected by this code?

And since when does a name have to reflect anything?  Does Rhapsody,
Memphis or Warp say anything or mean anything about operating
systems?  Yet they are names used respectively by Apple, Microsoft
and IBM to name releases of their respective operating systems.
Are they hiding any secrets?  No... They're just names of products.

How about Taurus, Accord, or Jetta?  Do they mean anything about cars?
No... They're just names of products.

It's the same for Debian.

> > ...similar to the codenames that Microsoft...
>
> Oh.  Well, if *Microsoft* does it, it *must* be a good idea.

Not that this cheap shot needs a response, but since most of the
software industry uses codenames for their projects and/or products,
I'd say most people in the software world think it's a good idea.

> Obscure code names are ok in closed development where the only people who
> need to know the names deal with them all day every day and so will learn
> them quickly.  In open development, they are confusing.

And yet all the trade mags spout off about the "internal code names"
of operating systems from other companies.  I'd say people aren't
too confused about that.

Not to mention that the codenames used in Debian are supposed to
keep people away from accessing the development distributions.
There are obvious links to the released distribution, whether
it's "stable" or "Debian-1.3.1".

> > The sequence (buzz, rex, bo, hamm) follows names of characters in the
> > Pixar animated movie, "Toy Story".
>
> Cartoon character names are somehow supposed to be mnemonics for Debian
> releases?

Why not?  The Engineering computers at my university were named
after Mathematicians, the first year computer lab machines were named
after star trek characters, our computers where I work are named
after mythical characters?  What's the difference?

> > There was some brief discussion of calling Debian 2.0 "woody", after the
> > main character of the movie, but we quickly realized the possible
> > unwanted confusion that would result.
>
> Doesn't seem any more or less confusing than "bo", "rex", etc.

Think about it.  In a lot of Western countries, (not to offend
anyone, but) "getting a woody" has other conotations.  Personally
I think if Disney can use it, we can us it, but c'est la vie.

I'll tell you what.  Instead of complaining about the current system,
why don't you propose a solution?  Here are the design criteria:

1) Conceal development code from users and overzealous CD manufacturers.
2) Not cause undue stress on the mirrors (i.e. the directory in which
     a version is kept cannot change names)
3) Keep the design simple

Behan

--