Re: Kudo's and Question

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 mike@bcinternet.com wrote:

> 	Currently I'm running kernel 2.0.6, and haven't noticed any major
> problems with it.  I normally stick to the "If it 'ain't broke, don't fix
> it" rule, but I'm wondering if there are any reasons to go to say a 2.0.30
> kernel.  Occasionally some TCP connections hang (mostly cfingerd) but reset
> in a day or two, other than that I have no complaint.  So, anybody else
> out there has some advice/warnings?

If you have 2.0.6, you are vulnerable to the ping of death, unless you've
applied patches to fix it.

2.0.30 also has SYN cookie features that are worth looking at.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom