Re: PCMCIA problems with Debian 1.3

Mark Phillips <mark@kurango.ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:

> There have been a few people asking about problems with PCMCIA for
> Debian 1.3.  The pcmcia-modules packages provided by Debian 1.3 are
> broken.

	Odd; PCMCIA was the only major component that *didn't* give me
problems when I installed on my laptop.

> I got it working a few weeks ago with some difficulties.  The way to solve
> it is to install a kernel-source package (either 2.0.29 or 2.0.30),
> install the pcmcia-source package, and then follow the documentation
> contained in /usr/doc/pcmcia-source/ in order to create your own
> pcmcia-modules package, then install that.

	Looking through dselect, there are 2 pcmcia-modules packages--
one dependent on the 2.0.29 kernel, and one dependent on the 2.0.30
kernel.  Since I had to strip the kernel down and modify the rescue disk
(the ThinkPad 386XD won't load bzImages) I compiled a 2.0.30 kernel and
installed the 2.0.30-dependent pcmcia-modules.  No problems.

	I believe the kernel on the rescue disk image is 2.0.29, so I'd
think all would be fine if you grabbed the pcmcia-modules-2.0.29 package
and installed instead of pcmcia-modules-2.0.30.  Mind you, I haven't
tested this.

	I'd have to agree this is confusing for a new user; most people's
tendency is to always grab latest & greatest and without care it's easy
to miss the dependency.  A good fix would be to update the rescue disk
image with a 2.0.30 kernel and retire pcmcia-modules-2.0.29.

--
Cerebus <tmiller@ims.advantis.com>
PGP Fingerprint: