Re: How Linux (and Debian) compare?

> It'd be interesting to know how many active Debian systems there are out
> there!

Me too.  There was some discussion on debian-private a few months ago
about writing a package that would collect stats about the systems
it was installed on - and send them via e-mail to a central server that
would summarize them.  Of primary interest would be what packages were
installed.  It might be nice to collect info on the number of users,
and what types of hardware is being used.

Of course, there is some danger in doing this.  In particular, the
information could be used to detect security vulnerabilities (I'm
going to have to address this with dwww too).

There is also the confidentiality aspect:  I wouldn't want the information
published in a raw non-summarized format - since that might be used
by commercial types to target me in some marketing database.

A "dfeedback" package would be a nice little project for someone to
tackle, if they are comfortable with the issues.  Having some statistics
would definitely make it easier for people to make business decisions
related to Debian products and marketing.  I'm also interested in seeing
how many people have dwww installed.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim