Re: Compiling the Kernel

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Bruno O. M. Simoes wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I had problems while compiled the kernel.
> 	First I didn't have anything in my "/usr/src" directory, so I got the
> "linux-2.0.29.tar.gz" file, that's my installed version, apply "tar -xzvf"
> and got a directory tree "/usr/src/linux/*".
> 	So, I did "make config", everything's fine.
> 	Finally, when I made "make dep", an error occourred, it didn't find
> several files (includes) like stdio.h,stdlib.h. Well, I don't have those
> files on my system, and guess there's some pratical way to install it on.
> 	Please, help me.

Install libc5-dev, which includes these files.

Also, you want to (per the README which comes with the kernel source):

 make sure your /usr/include/asm, /usr/include/linux, and
/usr/include/scsi
   directories are just symlinks to the kernel sources:

                cd /usr/include
                rm -rf asm linux scsi
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
                ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

(although for most this may not be absolutely necessary.)

Bob

----
                            AX.25:    w6swe@wb7tls.az.usa.noam
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen