Re: Is there not a debian package of gimp?

On 20 Jul 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> I've made packages of 0.99.10, but there are problems with the patent
> of the LZW compression, so I have to figure out how to separate things
> properly.
>
> If you'd like an interim version (with gif and tiff support, so you'll
> be breaking the law, you naughty boy) you can check out
> http://zarf-mouse.aca.imsa.edu/~che/debian/gimp/ for lots of fun toys.

Uh, no need to split things up at all.  According to the Unisys LZW FAQ,
you just need to contact them.  If your software is free, so is LZW.

http://www.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzwfaq.html

You do, however, need their permission to redistribute, even though it is
not being charged for.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom