Re: "ALT" key doesn't work in X, affecting emacs especially.

toddh@nortel.ca said:
: > The ALT key in X11 isn't working right.  I have just installed
: XFree86, the > SVGA server for the Matrox Millenium (4MB WRAM), and I
: am not sure what I > did or didn't do, or could have done to make
: this key work right.  Is it the > Keyboard setup in the installation
: of the Debian system?  Is it xterm?  Is > it the server?  Is it the
: way I set things up?  I uncommented a line in > /etc/X11/XF86Config
: making Left ALT a meta key---i made no difference.

: A friend of mine had a problem with the Alt/Meta key in emacs, and it
:  turned out that the Meta key was the "windows" key on his Microsoft
: Natural keyboard.

: Otherwise you may have to try playing with xmodmap, or enabling/
: disabling the xkeyboard stuff in the X configuration.

Hi foax -

Don't know how much to make of it but I've had the same thing happen (windows
key becomes Meta, Alt does something else entirely) when enabling the XKBD
extension to the X server, though using regular Xmodmap without the extension
I got the Alt key  behaving as meta, as usual, and the Microsoft keys being
pretty much dead wood as far as I could tell. I'd concur with disabling the
XKBD extensions if you don't have a meta key other than Alt.

An interesting side note though... Under emacs 19.34 and XKBD, hitting the
"menu" key on a Microsoft keyboard  (the one between the right Meta and Ctrl
keys, with the.. well, logically enough, with the picture of the popup menu on
it) gives M-x. So apparently this is a feature, as it were. :)

 -Cheers,

 - Mark Powers ---------     "living inside the system is like riding
				through the countryside in a bus driven
                     		by a maniac bent on suicide." - Thomas Pynchon
oh yeah. http://www.mint.net/~sudweste, or whatever.