re:"ALT" key doesn't work in X, affecting emacs especially.

> The ALT key in X11 isn't working right.  I have just installed XFree86, the
> SVGA server for the Matrox Millenium (4MB WRAM), and I am not sure what I
> did or didn't do, or could have done to make this key work right.  Is it the
> Keyboard setup in the installation of the Debian system?  Is it xterm?  Is
> it the server?  Is it the way I set things up?  I uncommented a line in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config making Left ALT a meta key---i made no difference.

A friend of mine had a problem with the Alt/Meta key in emacs, and it
turned out that the Meta key was the "windows" key on his Microsoft
Natural keyboard.

Otherwise you may have to try playing with xmodmap, or enabling/disabling
the xkeyboard stuff in the X configuration.

--
Todd Harper            "Initiating 'getting-us-the-hell-out-of-here'
toddh@nortel.ca         maneuver." -- Lennier, B5