Re: "ALT" key doesn't work in X, affecting emacs especially.

adavis@saipan.com wrote:

> The ALT key in X11 isn't working right.  I have just installed XFree86, the
> SVGA server for the Matrox Millenium (4MB WRAM), and I am not sure what I
> did or didn't do, or could have done to make this key work right.  Is it the
> Keyboard setup in the installation of the Debian system?  Is it xterm?  Is
> it the server?  Is it the way I set things up?  I uncommented a line in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config making Left ALT a meta key---i made no difference.
>
> Can someone lend a clue?

When you configured X did you agree to use the "new style" XKEYBOARD
extension? So did I and this broke the ALT = META thing with emacs.
You can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and in the Keyboard section you
can uncomment the line which says 'XkbDisable'. I'm sure there's
a way to set up the mapping so that this works, but I don't have time
for that learning curve right now and perhaps you don't either.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com