Are their networking changes in regard to 2.1.* kernels?

I just got a chance to get a spare machine to try out the 2.1 series
kernels, well I decided to go with 2.1.45, and everything seems to work
ok, except that when ever I boot up, I get the error

SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

When the /etc/init.d/network script is run to ifconfig the ethernet
device.  I assume this is because some options changed with the 2.1
series.  Where can I find info on the "new" syntax, or did I do something
wrong.

Thanks,

Shaya