Re: update-rc.d didn't work...

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Mathieu Legrand wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to install Debian Linux 1.3.1.  I already installed Debian 1.2
> and now I want to do a totally new installation.  This new revision has a
> really good installation system, but I have two problems:
>
>   - first of all, a major problem.
>   /usr/sbin/update-rc.d doesn't work and then I don't have any /etc/rc?.d
>   directory... It failed around line 270 with the message:
>     "integer expression excepted" in the test:
>        if [ "$START_SORT_NO" -lt "$SORT_NO" ]
>   I found that $SORT_NO is egal to "-" when sh tries to do the test for
>   the first time.  Does anyone else had this error?  How to solve it?

No help here.  Mine works  :-(
Well, maybe I can.  The rc?.d directories are owned by sysvinit.  Check to
see if that package is installed correctly.  (dpkg -s sysvinit).  Or run
dselect - it shows unconfigured packages at the top of the list.

>   - then, a cosmetic problem.
>   I want to have five partitions: /  /tmp /var /usr /home
>   But I have to stop the installation and to make the partitions myself.
>   Can the installation problem do this automaticly?  It's quite boring
>   to make it by hand.

You will have to make the partitions yourself, but having made them you
can mount them easily from within the installation menu.

Lindsay