Re: /etc/issue file

Hello, Paul.

> I know this doesn't totally relate to Debian...

Not everything on this list needs to be strictly Debian related.  Many
people get their first contact with Linux/*nix via Debian, so these
questions are expected.

> I want to add a clear screen character to the beginning of the /etc/issue
> file instead of having a clear command in the .bash_logout... I think it
> is ^L... how can I add this character with emacs?

I'm not sure how you would do it in Emacs - I use vi (actually Elvis...)

The characters you want are <ESC>[H<ESC>[J  where <ESC> is the escape
character (ie. one byte - not "<""E""S""C"">").  In vi you can enter
this character by first typing a ^V then pressing the Esc key.

The <ESC>[ is the ANSI escape sequence - "H" puts the cursor in the
"Home" position - upper left hand corner of the screen.  The "J"
does the actual clear screen.  (I think a 2J also works...it's what
DOS uses...)

Another way to capture these characters is to do the following:
# clear > clear.txt

This runs the clear command and sends the output to the file clear.txt.
This file could then be incorporated into /etc/issue.

Note that the <ESC> may be denoted by ^[ - it's the same thing, just a
different way to denote it.
> -Paul

Hope this helps,
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841