Re: 3Com Fast Etherlink XL

Dear Thomas,

> Well, get the kernel-source package aswell as the kernel-package. Install
> both, then go to /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and replace the file 3c59x.c
> with the patched version you obtained from Donald Becker's page. In
> /usr/src/linux, do a make menuconfig to run the kernel configuration
> utility. You'll have to include the 3c59x driver either in the kernel or
> set it up as a module. Once you're done, save this kernel config, then
> create your custom kernel by running
>
> make-kpkg binary --revision custom-1.0

My problem is that I cannot use the network (as the card is not working)
to download/install any more packages.  If you know what development
packages I need I can use another WS to dowload them and put them in
diskettes and then install them from the diskettes.  I think this
can/would be somewhat cumbersome if the packages are relatively large...

> Erm. The process mentioned above needs a development system installled.

I have checked and there seems to be alot of development packages!  I am
sure I would not need them all to do this particular setup, but still...

> If you don't have the module yet, do a uname -a and tell me which kernel
> version you're running. I can provide you with the patched 3c59x.o module
> precompiled for either 2.0.29 and 2.0.30 kernels.

I did a 'uname -a' and I am currently using 2.0.29.  Is there any
advantages in using 2.0.30?  Would this particular problem have been
solved by installing a 2.0.30 kernel?  In any case I would really
appreciate if you could send me the patched 3c90x.o module precompiled for
2.0.29 kernel. I think that would be the easiest at least to get the card
working so I can download whatever packages I need.

Thank you for your help.

All the best!

Dave